- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 6 1-inch pieces of ginger root, peeled and sliced
- juice of 3 limes
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 3-inch piece of lemongrass, peeled and smashed
- 1 can of full-fat coconut milk
- 2 pounds of littleneck clams (or a mix of clams and mussels), scrubbed
- 2 Thai bird chiles, depending on your heat preferences, sliced thinly
- cilantro, green onions, basil, parsley, and lime wedges for garnishes
- In a large, shallow skillet or wok, heat olive oil. Sauté onions until translucent.
- Add garlic and stir until fragrant.
- Add chicken broth, lemongrass, ginger, fish sauce, lime juice, chiles and bring to simmer. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and stir, season with salt to taste.
- Add clams and bring to high simmer. Cover, and cook until all clams have opened.
- Pour into bowl and garnish with chopped cilantro, green onions, chopped parsley, chopped basil, and lime wedges.