- 1 pound chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 stalk lemongrass, crushed
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 can of coconut milk (full fat or light)
- 4 -inch piece of ginger root
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 package rice noodles (also called pad thai noodles or rice sticks)
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 package mushrooms (I like to use mixed wild mushrooms but you can use any kind)
- cilantro, lime, and chile oil for garnish
- In a large pot combine the broth, water, ginger, lemongrass, sugar, lime juice, and fish sauce.
- Bring to a rolling boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Bring back to boil and add chicken, stirring at a rolling boil.
- When chicken is cooked through, add mushrooms and bell pepper.
- Soak rice noodles in a bowl until they soften.
- Add rice noodles. Stir until they are al dente. Turn down heat to simmer.
- Add can of coconut milk. Stir until thoroughly incorporated.
- Serve with lime wedges, cilantro and chile oil.