- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 4 egg yolks
- 5 tablespoons of butter, cubed
- Mix egg yolks and sugar in a small saucepan until smooth.
- Place mixture over low heat then beat in lemon juice, zest and pieces of butter with a whisk.
- Continue stirring until mixture has thickened.
- Make sure to heat it on low, gradually, as not to scramble the eggs.
- Strain through a sieve, store in an airtight sterilized container.
- Lemon curd keeps, covered, in the fridge for 2 weeks.