- 2 9-inch yellow cake layers, baked and cooled
- 1 pint brown turkey figs, quartered
- 1 pint black mission figs, quartered and some halved (you will not use all of the figs)
- 3/4 cup roasted pistachios, crushed
- 2 containers of mascarpone cheese
- 1 9-ounce carton of heavy whipping cream
- 1 pound confectioners sugar, plus 1 cup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 1 dash of cinnamon
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 cardamom pods
- In a medium bowl, whip mascarpone and cream together with a hand mixer until smooth and combined.
- Add vanilla and mix through, then add powdered sugar and whip until icing thickens, about one minute. Add more sugar to taste.
- In a mason jar, combine honey, cinnamon, cardamom pods and cloves and heat in microwave 30 sec intervals and stir. Repeat 5-6 times to let the spice meld in to the honey.
- Put a dab of icing on the cake plate to secure the first cake round in place.
- Drizzle the top with a small amount of heated honey to flavor the cake.
- Put about 3/4 of a cup of icing on the top of the cake, letting some of the icing spill over the sides.
- Add second cake layer. Do not add honey to this layer.
- Add icing. Then use a icing/cake spatula to smooth the icing around the sides.
- Add fig quarters to the top, sprinkle the crushed pistachios over the figs, and chill.
- Right before serving, heat the spiced honey and remove the cloves and pods. Drizzle over the top of the cake and serve.